What causes roof discoloration
Many homeowners ask this question when they look at their roofs. There are three likely causes of roof discoloration, and we'll explore them all.
Is there something strange growing on your roof?
A roof may develop different types of algae, lichens, and fungi as bacteria take over. Many homeowners mistake algae for “roof mold.” In most cases, it is really a blue-green type of algae and when it dies it leaves dark streaks on your roof. Algae can cause unsightly stains and growths on your new roof, and cause discoloration.
- Roof algae initially begin as tiny spots that become much larger over time. Algae is particularly a problem in humid weather states, because the humidity allows algae to grow. Algae negatively affects your roof and your home in numerous ways.
- Algae can permanently stain the shingles, decreasing curb appeal, and decreasing your home's value.
- Algae can also cause the protective UV granules that coat roofing shingles to come off and eventually dry them out
- Moisture can also sink into the wood underlayment of your roof due to the algae causing significant damage.
- Flat roofs with standing water are also associated with algae, which can attract mold. Mold can be dangerous for you or your family to inhale while out in the yard.
Another reason your roof may be showing signs of discoloration is that there may be two different types of shingles on your roof.
- All shingles have a lot number which indicates different batches of granules.
- The shingles on your roof may have different lot numbers, which means that one type of shingle on your roof has another granules batch. Some contractors will cut corners and buy two sets of shingles instead of one.
- Two different types of shingles mean there can be numerous differences between the shingles, which can cause the discoloration you see on your roof.
Your roof may also show discoloration due to cheap shingles.
- Cheap shingles are more prone to discoloration than more expensive shingles. If the contractor used cheap, low-quality shingles, that could cause discoloration on your roof.
- We use high-quality shingles at Blackhawk Roofing, so this does not happen. We use CertainTeed and GAF shingles that are of excellent quality.
If your roof is displaying signs of discoloration, don't worry! At Blackhawk Roofing we specialize in creating beautiful and long-lasting roofs with GAF or CertainTeed shingles. Our experienced team never compromises on quality - each new installation will be made from identical high-performance materials to give you a perfectly even finish that won’t suffer any algae damage. So contact us today for the best service around!
A new roof can prevent roof discoloration
A brand-new roof is extremely exciting, and there are numerous benefits.
- If your roof has been replaced due to a hailstorm or windstorm, the new roof will not be susceptible to further damage and leaks like your old, damaged roof.
- The longer you wait to replace an old roof, the more dangerous the situation can become. Old, damaged roofs, typically starting at seven years, and getting worse with time, can cause certain parts of your home to become unstable. It is also possible for an old roof to collapse.
- A new roof makes your home's value go up. Many realtors estimate that your roof is responsible for nearly half of your home's curb appeal.
- New roofs are also more energy-efficient than older roofs. Older roofs are more likely to leak air, so your heating and air conditioning must work harder to maintain your desired temperature. If you have a new roof, it could significantly reduce your heating and air bill.
- No one wants to worry about their roof and the damage to it. Older roofs can cause extensive leaks and are likely to have hail or wind damage. If you have a new roof installed on your home, it will be one less thing to worry about.
- Book an inspection with us to identify any damage on your roof. You can have insurance cover the cost of damages to your roof, and have a brand-new roof in no time. We have a team of professional roofers that can install your new roof in as little as one day. With our experience and expertise, you can be sure it will be installed correctly and last for years to come. Contact us today to get started!Building a new roof onto your home adds value and enhances the quality of life for your
Blackhawk Roofing has built replacement roofs for thousands of residential and commercial customers in Springfield and Central Illinois. We've also done hundreds of roof repairs. Blackhawk Roofing provides outstanding value on every project. Call owner Dan Schnell at 217-741-6251 to schedule a Free Estimate.