The pros and cons of skylights
Do you want more light in your home? If you need skylights installed, Blackhawk Roofing is a certified installer of Velux skylights.
Does Blackhawk Roofing install skylights?
Yes. Blackhawk Roofing is certified in the installation of Velux skylights. There are a great many positives associated with bringing more light into your home.
- Natural light in dark areas. Skylights allow light into rooms that can't otherwise get light.
- Aesthetically pleasing . A skylight provides a beautiful window and can change the atmosphere of your room.
- Fresh air. A venting skylight can provide fresh air to a room and help with cooling through ventilation in the summer. If you choose a venting skylight, you will want to opt for the one you can easily reach.
Skylights are a great way to bring natural light into your home or workplace, but it is important to remember that skylights are an investment. Before having skylights installed, you should know what maintenance is required and the potential costs involved in keeping skylights in top condition. Professional installation is key to ensuring skylights remain problem-free and perform as intended with regular maintenance. Doing your research ahead of time helps ensure that you are prepared to handle unexpected repairs or costs before they arise. Overall, skylights make a great addition to your roof provided you have prior knowledge of the commitment involved.
- Expense. Skylights are expensive to install and to maintain, and they adversely affect your energy bills. They can also gradually create wear and tear on your roof, as they can be prone to leaking.
- Potential roof leaks. This problem can be mitigated by choosing a high-quality skylight. You'll want to ensure that the skylight is also mounted above the surface of your roof. You also want to ensure a curb is installed (a raised, watertight lip that deflects water away). There should also be proper flashing, and the joints should be sealed. Waterproofing sheets should be installed over the flanges/flashing under the finish material.
- Potential for roof damage. A large skylight can potentially damage your roof structurally. You will need to find out if you have a truss roof; these are more difficult to modify. A standard roof framing can handle most kinds of skylights without a problem.
Blackhawk Roofing has built replacement roofs for thousands of residential and commercial customers in Springfield and Central Illinois. We've also done hundreds of roof repairs. Blackhawk Roofing provides outstanding value on every project. Call owner Dan Schnell at 217-741-6251 to schedule a Free Estimate.
Great storm-resistant shingles
Strong storms can damage your roof. There are storm-resistant shingles that enhance your home's storm protection, and we'll explore them.
What causes roof discoloration
Many homeowners ask this question when they look at their roofs. There are three likely causes of roof discoloration, and we'll explore them all.