When do I need a new roof?
Most homeowners only think about a new roof every twenty years, but keep in mind—a roof is an essential part of your home.
A new roof is likely something a homeowner only thinks about every twenty years (and doesn’t want to think about), but the fact remains that the roof is one of the essential parts of any home, if not the most important. A homeowner may be unsure of what to look for when deciding whether a new roof is needed.
Signs that you might need a new roof include:
- Your home records. How long has a roof has been on your home? That can help determine whether you need anew roof. Roofs can begin to show damage starting at 7–10 years, depending on the weather and damage the roof has been subjected to.
- Many homeowners believe that if the shingle is warranted to last twenty-five years (such as architectural shingles), they do not have to worry about their roof for twenty-five years. This is not the case. Hail storms, ice, and wind can cause damage to a roof, justifying a roof replacement early due to the decreasing integrity of the roof.
- If your roof is growing moss, this could also signify that the roof needs a replacement. Moss growing on a roof isa sign of moisture being collected on the roof, which can compromise the integrity of the shingles and cause a great deal of damage.
- Hail-damaged shingles are a sign that a roof needs to be replaced. Hail-damaged shingles will appear to have granule displacement, bruising in the shingle surface, or holes. These damaged shingles weaken the roof integrity and will likely cause leaking.
- Wind damage can also signify that your roof needs replacing. Signs of wind damage include missing or creased shingles., which weaken the integrity of a roof and can cause severe damage.
- If flashing around vents and chimneys is cracked or broken, this could signify that a new roof is needed.
- If a roof is sagging, this is a clear sign that the roof needs immediate replacing. Sagging can be caused by moisture or rotting boards.
Three questions to ask a roofing contractor
Replacing your roof can be a stressful process, but it doesn't have to be. Asking the right questions will ensure you find an experienced and reliable professional who can handle all your needs expertly. Don’t forget to ask about their credentials, warranties offered for workmanship, and what kind of customer service they provide - these three details are essential in helping make sure that everything goes smoothly!
Are you a licensed roofing contractor?
When in the market for a contractor, asking "Are they licensed?" is critical! An unlicensed contractor can bring more than just headaches. Poor craftsmanship might lead to hazardous conditions and costly fines that could land you in legal trouble. To ensure your roof project runs smoothly, always look for contractors with valid licenses!
Do you have adequate insurance?
Before beginning any roofing project, homeowners should be sure the contractor has the necessary insurance to protect them from potential liability. Be aware of warranty policies that may apply—reputable companies provide these as an added measure for customers' peace of mind and satisfaction with their investment. Make certain you understand all terms included in a warranty before making your decision!
What is your warranty?
A roof replacement is a significant undertaking, especially if it's due to storm damage. Before putting pen to paper on any contract or agreement with your contractor, do some research and understand the warranty options available for your new roof, making sure you know what exactly will be covered so that you're fully protected. From standard warranties extending into extended plans, being informed beforehand can help make all the difference in securing peace of mind!
- Labor Warranty.This type of warranty covers the labor cost only. A labor warranty does not cover the cost of materials.
- Installation Warranty. An Installation warranty covers any roof defects due to improper installation.
- Material (Manufacturer) Warranty. Material warranties ensure that the materials installed on your roof are free from manufacturer defects and are replaced if manufacturer defects are found. They do not protect against faulty installation.
Blackhawk Roofing has built replacement roofs for thousands of residential and commercial customers in Springfield and Central Illinois. We've also done hundreds of roof repairs. Blackhawk Roofing provides outstanding value on every project. Call owner Dan Schnell at 217-741-6251 to schedule a Free Estimate.