Causes of residential roof leaks
Roof leaks can cause severe damage to many areas of your home, including the attic, ceilings, walls, and floors. Residential inspections can problem areas.
What causes roof leaks?
Roof leaks are certainly one of the worst nightmares for homeowners. They can cause severe damage to multiple areas of your home, including the attic, ceilings. and walls. The water from a roof leak can cause mold to form in your home, making homeowners and their families sick. The most common causes of roof leaks include the following…
- Broken or missing shingles can be caused by hail damage, high winds, or heavy rains.
- An old roof that needs replacing can cause leaks since shingles weaken over time. The weakened shingles can be caused by time, hail, excessive moisture, windstorms, and exposure to sunlight.
- Improper installation on the homeowner's roof may cause roof leaks. A leak could occur if the flashing (strips of metal that seals roof transitions under shingles) is not installed correctly. Several other problems could be caused by improper installation if an inexperienced or dishonest contractor cutting corners installed the previous roof.
- Holes in your roof could cause severe leaks for the homeowner. If a tv antenna was removed and a hole was left, that could cause a leak in the roof. If a tree branch fell and formed a hole in a homeowner's roof, this could also cause a severe problem and leak.
- Clogged gutters can cause a roof to leak since water does not flow if gutters are clogged. Gutters are meant to help water flow; if the gutters are clogged and not performing this task, they can become stagnant and soak through the roof.
- Roof leaks can cause severe problems for homeowners. You could leak into your roof and not notice it for awhile.
Don't let a roof leak leave you high and dry! Water spots on your ceiling, mold running down the outside of your home or wet roof decking in your attic can all be signs that there's a problem with the top of your house. Blackhawk Roofing offers free estimates so you can see what damage - if any - has been done to provide peace-of-mind. With our dedication to never cutting corners when installing new roofs for customers, we are here to make sure it will last seamlessly through season after season.
What to do if you spot a leak
- Discovering a leak can be frightening. Although you need to act quickly, taking the proper steps when you find a roof leak can help minimize the damage and prevent the issue from worsening. Here are five things we recommend you do when you find a leak in your roof.
- Protect the area. Find an empty container such as a bucket to catch drips and put down plastic sheets to cover your floor and furniture.
- Locate the leak. Examine your ceiling to find where the water is coming from. Punch a hole in the damaged area with a screwdriver or similarly-sized object so the excess water can drain out. This could keep your ceiling from sagging or collapsing.
- Find where the problem is. Inspect your roof from the ground to see any missing shingles or other apparent damage. Go into the attic to see if you can find any damage. (If you can see the light coming in from the outside, that's a sure sign of a problem area.) If you see any damage, call us for a free estimate.
- Cover the leaky spot temporarily. If more wet weather is expected and we can't get to your house immediately, try to cover the leak. Take all necessary safety precautions, then cover the area with a tarp. Secure it with a staple gun and some boards–but don't nail or screw them to your roof. This can cause more damage.
Pro Tip: If you have even a tiny leak in your roof, don't put off getting it fixed. Call us today to schedule a roof inspection.
Don't overlook minor roof damage
Even the smallest damage to your roof can quickly spiral out of control if repairs are delayed. By getting an inspection done as soon as possible, you could potentially save yourself hundreds or thousands in costly long-term fixes - not to mention the nightmare scenarios that come with having a weak and damaged roof! Take action on those pesky repair needs now for peace of mind later.
Your roof is the most important part of your home
The roof of your home is more than just an aesthetic feature. It's key to protecting those who matter most and shielding the interior from water, dirt, and other hazardous elements. Keep it in tip-top shape for peace of mind!
Roofs are more complicated than you might think
Your home's roof does more than just keep the rain out; it is an intricate system designed to help you save energy and allow water to be safely diverted away. If left unattended, all manner of issues can arise - ranging from bird infestations in your eaves, blocked drainage systems that cause leaks or even mold growth. Regular maintenance saves on a whole host of potential problems down the line!
Blackhawk Roofing has built replacement roofs for thousands of residential and commercial customers in Springfield and Central Illinois. We've also done hundreds of roof repairs. Blackhawk Roofing provides outstanding value on every project. Call owner Dan Schnell at 217-741-6251 to schedule a Free Estimate.
Great storm-resistant shingles
Strong storms can damage your roof. There are storm-resistant shingles that enhance your home's storm protection, and we'll explore them.
What causes roof discoloration
Many homeowners ask this question when they look at their roofs. There are three likely causes of roof discoloration, and we'll explore them all.